Mail News Service Imphal, Sep 10 : Dr. Ashwani Kumar, Governor of Manipur and Nagaland today presented Governor’s and RK Sanatombi awards at Asha and Jina hall. Addressing the function he said “It is a pleasure and a privilege for me to be here today, at the presentation and felicitation ceremony of the prestigious awards, […]
Mail News Service
Imphal, Sep 10 : Dr. Ashwani Kumar, Governor of Manipur and Nagaland today presented Governor’s and RK Sanatombi awards at Asha and Jina hall. Addressing the function he said “It is a pleasure and a privilege for me to be here today, at the presentation and felicitation ceremony of the prestigious awards, to the brightest students, best teachers, outstanding sports persons and the most dutiful traffic woman.
My heartiest congratulations to all the awardees and all the prize winners who have been conferred the awards and prizes today. It is no easy task to climb the highest peak in the worjd and it is no easy task to stand first in the class and to so excel in sports that you defeat all your competitors. We all know that it requires a lot of hard work, courage and dedication to make it to the top. Dear awardees, prize winners and summiteers, what you have achieved is creditable not only for you but the entire state of Manipur. It is time for you to feel happy and congratulate your self. At the same time, please do not forget to thank those who have helped you to reach this height. While you struggled, your parents were praying for you. Your teachers, mentors and coaches gave you all the guidance you needed. I am sure you received moral and financial support from your families. Without these, you will agree with me, it would have been difficult or even impossible for you to succeed. Therefore, this is the time to acknowledge the contribution made by others in your success and express your gratitude to those who have helped you in your journey to the top.
On behalf of the Government of Manipur, on behalf of the people of Manipur and on my own behalf, I compliment the individuals and Institutions for making this happen. At this stage I must thank the members of the selection committee for helping me decide the recipients of Governor’s Award and the same committee for selecting the R.K. Sanatombi Awardees. They have done their work in choosing the best candidates in a most transparent and impartial manner.
I also thank the Managing Committee of RKSD Vidyalayas, especially it’s Chairman, Padmashri Haridas Singh ji, for inviting me and my wife to participate in these celebrations. You have given us an opportunity to visit this place called the Asha-Jina Complex. Had it not been for this invitation, we would not have known who is ‘ Asha’ and who is ‘ Jina1 and how important this complex is for Imphal.
Ladies and gentlemen, I consider it a privilege to be given this opportunity to distribute the awards and address all of you gathered here today. I am aware that among the audience we have so many intellectuals, educationists, leaders of political parties/civil society, media persons and most important of all, the best( teachers and students. I have been most impressed reading about the social work being done by The Leirik Memorial Charitable Society in the field of Health and Education. I have been told that this Society and RKSDV institutions have been providing excellent services to the community in Health and Education since the early 1980′s.
These days we come across many,individuals and Institutions whose only task is to keep criticizing others and pointing out what is wrong with us and what is -wrong with Our society. They specialize in finding faults rather than in finding solutions. On the other hand, here in Manipur, we are fortunate to h.ave with us, the perfect example of individuals and Institutions, who have been voluntarily doing the noblest task, of looking after the sick and educating the students. We are indeed lucky to have amongst us illustrious personalities like Padamshri Haridas Singhji and his two daughters, Ashaji and Jinaji,. In fact, what they are doing is also a perfect example of how to pay lasting tribute to your partner and to your parents.
7. Two days ago, on 8th of September, the world celebrated the International Literacy Day. An interesting article in a newspaper, made a comparison of the literacy rates prevailing in various parts of the world. I was happy to read that our State of Manipur has made tremendous progress in the last few years. However, in comparison to many countries and states, we are still far behind. As per the comparative statistics, the world Literacy rate in 2011 was 84.1%. Whereas, the literacy rate of Manipur was only 79.85%. Our two neighboring states of north east India, Tripura and Mizoram have high literacy rates of 94.65% and 91.58% respectively. Similarly, the male literacy rate in the world was 88.6%, whereas, the male literacy in Manipur was 86.49%. The female literacy rate in the world was 79.9%, whereas, in Manipur it was 73.17%. Therefore, we all need to work much harder under the “Saakshar Bharat’ program to ensure that no one remains illiterate inManipur. We should implement the plans in right earnest and our target should be to make Manipur 100% literate in the next few years.
8. Dear students and dear friends, the best way of changing people and transforming society is through education. However, there are some individuals and groups among us, who believe in bringing about change through the use of force, through use of violence and through use of bullets and guns. Any change brought about through these means will not be lasting. It will be only temporary. History is testimony to the fact and our scriptures also say it, “Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.” It has been established through sociological studies, that the most effective and quickest way to change and transform society, is through the education of girls and women. It is said if you educate a woman you educate the whole family and Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of United Nations has said, “To educate girls is to reduce poverty.” In management, they say educating females has a multiplier effect. »
9. I have had the opportunity of discussing the education scenario in Manipur with Shri Haridas Singh ji. He has also been kind to give me a written note pn the need to improvejtha quality_of education being imparted in the schools and colleges of our State. As per his analysis, there has been a decline in the quality and standards of our education in the last few years. I will urge the’ Govt. of Manipur, the Dy. CM and the Hon’ble Member of Parliament, present here today, to consider the various suggestions being made to improve the quality of education. I think there is an immediate need to link our courses and curriculum with the issues of livelihood and employment. We need to lay greater emphasis on vocational education and finding avenues of livelihood and self employment for all the girls and boys passing out each year from our Schools, Colleges and Universities.
10. I have something to say particularly the girl students of R.K.S.D. Vidyalayas. Dear girls, you are lucky having had this opportunity of studying in Schools like this. Shrimati RK Sanatombi Devi Ji, was not so fortunate, neither was my mother. You are also the brightest girls we have in our State. We are all proud of you and we have lots of hopes from you.
We are sure you will be the harbingers of change in our society. We hope, when you leave the precincts of this Institution, you will provide leadership to all your siblings and family members. Please remember to be always honest and truthful. Never tell lies. Remember to be always respectful to your parents, elders and teachers. However, high position you may attain in life, always remainhumble. We will pray for you. Our blessings and good wishes will always be with you.
11. In the end, I will like to once again congratulate all the award winners and prize winners. May you continue to achieve still greater heights in your chosen fields of study and sports. Those who missed the prizes or did not get any award need not feel disheartened. Sky is the limit for you.
There will always be a next time. I am sure each one of you is capable of the best and each one of you will get an opportunity to showcase your talent and make us and your parents proud of you. With these words and my blessings –
Read more / Original news source: http://manipur-mail.com/governors-r-k-sanatombi-awards-given/