AMSU observes 52nd Hunger Marchers’ day

AMSU observes 52nd Hunger Marchers’ day

Students reaffirm pledge to safeguard peoples’ rights

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 27

A mass rally was taken out today from Pishum Chingamacha till D.M. College campus as a part of observing the 52nd Hunger Marchers Day (Chaklam Khongchat Numit) organised by All Manipur Students Union.

Floral tributes were paid to the martyrs who had sacrificed their live fighting against the artificial famine created by the then government during August 1965 at Students martyrs’ complex, Pishum and the flag of the student body was hoisted.

Speaking at the main function at D.M. College multipurpose hall as chief guest, former AMSU president, Ningthoujam Brojendro said that the unfortunate incident had given birth to AMSU which is an independent student organisation and one of the oldest organisations in the Northeast.

The basic ideology of AMSU is to safeguard the rights of the people and to stand firm against any attempt to violate these rights.

“From the past the government had tried to keep the students body under its control. But the former dedicated leaders of AMSU have been fruitful in maintaining its autonomy. And AMSU as a student body will forever remain independent”, he said. 

The former president lamented that in recent times there has been sharp divide between the students’ organisations functioning in the state. “Diverse viewpoints and ideas on the basis of ideology is a different matter. But what is unfortunate is the divide growing out of petty politics”, he added.   

Brojendro said that development cannot be brought in a society does not know its history first so he asked the youths to master the knowledge of the history of the state.

Brojendro continued that knowing of the state’s history will also increase patriotism among the youths of the state. We must also keep in our minds that the merging of Manipur into the Indian Union was carried out under ‘forced agreement’, he maintained.

President of the function, AMSU president Manjit Sarangthem said that the state’s social and political condition is becoming worse day by day. Earlier Manipur did not depend on others state or country for food but presently most of the food products are imported from outside the states, he added.

Manjit continued that people getting panic for scarcity of food and fuel during highway blockades is an example of rising sense of dependency.  

During the British colonial period the people of hills and valley had a very cordial relationship. After merger to India it seems the relation is not as good like the past and it is happening due to some external force, he added.

The president said, “Our society should be built by ourselves and not by others” and he asked all the people of the state to be united to make a strong society.

The function was attended by AMSU former president, A. Manisana and AMSU former general secretary, Chungsat Khongsai as guest of honour. It may be recalled that on this day four students namely, Nilkamal, L. Chaobal, Oinam Naba Kumar and N. Promodini Devi died in police action.

AMSU observes 52nd Hunger Marchers’ day

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 27

Read more / Original news source: http://www.ifp.co.in/item/3177-amsu-observes-52nd-hunger-marchers-day