DIMAPUR, Mar 9 (NEPS): A High level team led by State Home Minister Y Patton has today visited the Dimapur Central Jail and inspected the jail cells where a strong mob of thousands had on March 5 stormed the jail while searching the alleged rape accused Syed Farid Khan.
Ministers, Nuklutoshi, Kipili Sangtam, Deputy Speaker Er. Levi Rengma, Parliamentary Secretaries, Er. Picto, Y Vikheho Swu, Jacob Zhimomi, DGP L Doungel, ADGP (L&O) G Akheto Sema, IG (Int) Renchamo Kikon, IG (R) Wabang Jamir, DIG(R) Liremo Lotha who is also in-charge of Dimapur District, Secretary Home Bendangkokba and other officials accompanied the Home Minister while visiting the Dimapur Central Jail to take stock of the situation.
Later, he was also briefed by the high ranking police personnel at the office of Dimapur Superintendent of Police of the measures they had taken to contain the law and order situation in the wake of the March 5 incident at Dimapur.
Later addressing the press conference at the Conference Hall of the DC Office, Dimapur, Patton described as “unfortunate” the incident that had taken place on March 5 at Dimapur. He also disclosed that the rape allegedly committed on a Naga girl on February 23 last was confirmed prima facie as per the preliminary medical report. He, however, explained they should wait the final report from the “One-Man judicial Inquiry” which has already been constituted. So, he requested the press to wait till such time the finding of the Inquiry committee is submitted.
The Minister also announced during the press conference that ex-gratia of Rs 1 lakh would be given to next kith and kin of the one who lost his life in the unfortunate March 5 agitations at Dimapur. He also announced that Rs 50000 would also be given to those who received injuries during the agitations on March 5.
When asked whether the ex-gratia would also be given to the deceased alleged rapist, the Minister said, “We will examine on the finding of the Inquiry Committee.” “Right now, we can’t give,” he added.
When asked about the fate of Nagas living outside the state, the minister said that the state Chief Minister was keeping in touch with his counterparts to see that proper security measures for the Naga living in all over the country have been given.
He also announced that the CrPC 144 which has been relaxed in Dimapur from 6 Am to 12 Noon on March 9 would be further relaxed tomorrow in a phase manner from 6 AM to 4 PM so that schools, shops and business establishments remain opened. However, at the same time, the District Administration will also have a security review meeting to assess the prevailing situation and take necessary steps leaving nothing to chance.
Patton regretted that the Government had to take steps to block for SMS and Whatapps services in Nagaland for 48 hours. He informed that the people of the state should bear with the inconveniences for this and further informed that the blocking of the SMS and Whatapps services has already been extended for another 48 hours beginning from 6 PM on 9th March keeping in mind in the larger interest of the people.
He said the Government has been making every possible effort to bring out the truth and so far the police had already arrested 43 people who were allegedly involved in the March 5 incident at Dimapur. “I want to assure everyone that the government is taking every step to bring the situation to normalcy,” he said and further appealed to the people to “extend cooperation to the Government” so that normalcy returns in the state in general and Dimapur in particular.