Student body demands resignation of health minister

Imphal Jul 19 UNA : The Supreme Court ruling on scrapped holding of a single common entrance test (NEET) for admission to MBBS, BDS and post-graduate courses in all medical colleges has created once again controversy in Manipur. While government was understood to have started preparation for conducting the entrance exam for selection of […]

Imphal Jul 19 UNA : The Supreme Court ruling on scrapped holding of a single common entrance test (NEET) for admission to MBBS, BDS and post-graduate courses in all medical colleges has created once again controversy in Manipur.
While government was understood to have started preparation for conducting the entrance exam for selection of government nominees for the courses, student bodies pressed for resignation of the state health minister and education commission on moral ground even though they supported conduct of the entrance text.
The Democratic Students’ Alliance of Manipur (DESAM) has urged state health minister and commissioner to resign from their respective posts immediately for failing to interpret the ruling of Supreme Court on the matter.
Actually, Manipur government was about to conduct the state pre-medical test on June 9 last. But it was cancelled all of a sudden on June 6 following a decision of state cabinet citing a Supreme Court ruling, which is not related to the issue of conducting of state pre-medical test at all, the student pressure group alleged.
Taking moral responsibility of this, health minister and health commissioner resign, they demanded alleging that they were incapable and not fit to remain in their respective posts as they had misled the public by misinterpreting the ruling of Supreme Court.
The students’ body demanded the authorities concerned to conduct the state pre-medical test (PMT) as soon as possible in accordance with the ruling of the Supreme Court.
The three judge bench headed by Chief Justice AltamasKabir, who was retiring on Thursday, in a majority 2-1 verdict quashed the notifications for the National Eligibility-cum- Entrance Test (NEET).
The CJI’s view was shared by Justice VikramjitSen but Justice A R Dave disagreed with them and upheld the NEET saying the policy was “legal” and it would stop corrupt practice of undeserving students getting admission by paying huge capitation fee or donation.
It quashed the notifications issed by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the Dental Council Of India (DCI) by which admissions to MBBS, BDS and Post-graduate courses to medical colleges were to be made solely on the basis of NEET and States and privately-run institutions were prevented from conducting any separate examination.
Meanwhile, the Parent’s Association of Selected Candidates (NEET UG-2013) which was formed in the wake of government cancellation of the entrance text today drew the attention of chief minister to issue instructions to the concerned authority to start/process counseling for admission to MBBS / BDS courses as per NEET UG-2013 results.
Addressing a press conference at Manipur Press Club, Imphal secretary of the association, Y Tomba Singh told the media persons that a memorandum has been submitted to the chief minister, making available copies to minister of education, principal secretary, director of health& family welfare.

tudent pressure group alleged.

Read more / Original news source: http://manipur-mail.com/student-body-demands-resignation-of-health-minister/